Recipe No. 23 — by Julie and Ditlev Fejerskov
Hot Charred Cherry Tomatoes with Cold Yoghurt
Ingredients and Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C fan.
2. Place the tomatoes (350 g cherry tomatoes) in a mixing bowl with 3 tbsp olive oil, three quarters tsp cumin seeds, half a tsp light brown sugar (I’m not using sugar), 3 garlic cloves finely sliced, 3 thyme sprigs (I often use more, because I like thyme), 3 oregano sprigs (I also like oregano…), 3 lemon strips (finely shave the skin of the lemon to get 3 strips), half a tsp flaked salt and a good grind of pepper.
3. Mix to combine, then transfer to a baking tray just large enough to fit all the tomatoes.
4. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to grill and grill for 6-8 minutes, until the tomatoes start to blacken on top.
5. While the tomatoes are roasting, combine 350 g extra-thick Greek-style yogurt with lemon zest from ½ lemon and ¼ tsp flaked salt. I like to use a bit of sumac and some lemon juice as well. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
6. Once the tomatoes are ready, spread the chilled yogurt on a platter, creating a dip in it with the back of a spoon. Spoon over the hot tomatoes, along with their juices, lemon skin, garlic, and herbs, and finish with some picked oregano leaves and chili flakes. Serve at once.
Ditlev Fejershov is the editor and founding partner of the Copenhagen-based interview magazine Dossier Danmark which covers the stories of a wide range of interesting people from different fields. He holds a degree in journalism from the Danish School of Media and Journalism. Ditlev lives with his wife and son in Frederiksberg, Denmark where they prepare their favorite meals in a Reform FRAME kitchen.