Recipe No. 35 — Grüne Sauce with
potatoes and eggs by Tamara Pešić
300 g fresh herbs (a mix of 7 herbs: chives, parsley, pimpinelle, chervil, and a little sorrel, borage, and cress), finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt, start with a little less and take more when needed
1 pinch of brown sugar
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
a pinch of pepper, freshly ground
300 g sour cream
200 g crème fraîche (I mix it with yogurt for a lighter sauce)
1/2 lemon (or 2 tbsp vinegar)
Optional, when in season:
400 g asparagus
1. Carefully wash the herbs and chop them very finely.
3. Add mustard, oil, lemon juice, a pinch of brown sugar, salt and pepper to the herbs.
4. Then add the sour cream and crème fraîche and blend everything together. Now you can put the green sauce in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.
5. Half an hour before serving the green sauce boil the potatoes in salted water (and if you want to add some asparagus to your meal cook it for 12 minutes).
6. While you wait for the potatoes to boil, take the sauce out of the fridge and taste it. Add some fresh lemon juice and a little salt if needed.
7. Now boil the eggs for 8 minutes.
8. Serve it on a plate together with the potatoes and eggs (and the asparagus, if you like).
I like to eat Grüne Sauce together with plain, boiled, salted potatoes (sprinkled with some sea salt and butter), but you can also roast and bake them.